Thursday, May 13, 2010

Grilling

I had a "first" yesterday. I, yes me, grilled for the first time yesterday. As in outside on the real grill, not inside on the indoor one. I have watched and helped many times before but this was the first time I actually did it myself. I will gladly say that Bailey started the fire, but once the fire was ready, it was all mine! I grilled the following two recipes from this fabulous book. And I must say that both were pretty delicious!

This is the first time I've used any of this book's recipes but plan to use many, many more in the coming months.

Jalepeno Chicken Wraps
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breats
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 talbespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 small onion, cut into strips (I didn't use these)
15 jalapeno pepers, halved and seeded
1 pound sliced bacon, halved widthwise
Blue cheese salad dressing (didn't use this either)

Cut chicken into 2-in x 1-1/2 in strips. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, seasoned salt, and paprika; add chicken and shake to coat. Place a chicken and onion  strip in each jalapeno half. Wrap each with a piece of bacon and secure with toothpicks.

Grill, uncovered, over indirect mediom heat for 18-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and bacon is crisp, turning once. (Mine took a little bit longer to get the bacon crisp). Serve with blue cheese dressing.
**This editor's note was included with the recipe: when cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face. (I used gloves because I'm prone to rubbing/scratching my eyes/face).

Grilled Potato Skins
2 large baking potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 green onions, chopped (I skipped these)
sour cream

Cut each potato lengthwise into four wedges. (I cut them into six because my potatoes were pretty large). Cut away the white portion, leaving 1/4 in. on the potato skins. Place skins on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Combine the butter, rosemary, salt and pepper; brush over both sides of potato skins.

Grill potatoes, skin side up, uncovered, over direct medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn potatoes and postition over indirect heat; grill 2 minutes longer. Top with cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 mintues longer. Top with cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 mintues longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon and onions. Serve with sour cream.

I'm planning on trying a grilled pork chop and asparagus recipe soon so I'll be sure to post how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment